BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

No fun History of Math class...

What is great right now is that by typing in class, my professor thinks that I am taking notes, as long as I look up frequently enough. But it doesn't make sense to take notes since he posts them for us on a website. Therefore, no paying attention for me!

Yesterday on one of the Star Tribune Twins blog, I was asked how well I am at multi-variable regression, and that I should know it because it can land me jobs almost anywhere (including the Twins). I replied back saying that if I knew I could get a guaranteed job with the Twins by knowing multi-variable regression, that I would do it. Then I was told that I would have a good chance of getting a job and that I should seriously think about knowing my stuff. I have some background on multi-variable regression from my Stats class that I had to take, but in no means do I know a lot about it.

Working for the Twins would be a dream of mine. I am seriously thinking about spending my free-time in the summer learning about multi-variable regression to increase my chances of getting my dream job. Of course I would have to teach myself this but I understand stats pretty well so I would hope that it wouldn't be too difficulult. I would put teaching on hold if I could get that job.

Thoughts on what I should do??

1 comments:

thrylos98 said...

being the person who told you that, I think that you should a. max the stat classes you can take (statistics and probability) b. since you are a physics minor (and that's a good thing, because most of the nastiest math -like Monte Carlo analysis- is used to describe physical phenomena) get as many math-oriented physics classes you can. c. Learn SQL so you can play easily with a bunch of data and assemble tables of relative date ready for analysis easily. d. become a member of SABR (about $60 a year, SABR.org; can be a nice present from someone) and read as much as you can about what people are doing and e. get the data and play and publish what you get...

I bet you'll have fun