BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 27, 2009

One more thing about the Bridge

On StarTribune.com, they had asked for readers comments about the 1-year anniversary of the bridge collapse. I decided to create a comment to send them. Here is a link to the entire article and below is what I wrote. In the paper, when they ran it, my quote was selected out to be displayed in a larger font. Pretty cool.

No bridge will be crossed again without remembering that day

With the one-year anniversary of the bridge collapse upon us, I am in disbelief on how quickly the time has passed. Not a day goes by when I don't think about that dreadful day. Every time that I pass over a bridge or go underneath one, I am reminded of how lucky I am to still have my life, and how scared I am to this day to go over any large bridge.

I was on a section of the bridge that did not collapse, only to be five cars away from the edge that did. To see that bridge fall in front of my own eyes is a sight I will never forget.

I know it was a day that changed many Minnesotans' lives, lives that are still being rebuilt. To know that the bridge is almost finished being rebuilt, only one year later, is remarkable to me. When the time comes for me to cross over it for the first time, I know that it will be very difficult, not only to me, but to many other Minnesotans.

Bridges can be rebuilt, but the lives that were lost will never be brought back. All I can hope is that we keep learning from this tragedy, keep making our lives safer and keep all of those affected in our thoughts and prayers still. Until we know that no bridge will ever fall down again, I will continue to be very fearful of any bridge I pass over.

TRISHA CRICHTON, RICHFIELD

http://www.startribune.com/local/26194774.html?location_refer=$urlTrackSectionName

0 comments: